Tuesday 18 February 2014

Trying out my pattern recipe for myself


 So following my recipe for pattern with soul,,,my first pattern-making experiment

1. TAKE inspiring pattern
















This Laura Ashley pattern means a lot to me. It reminds me of home and being a child. 

2.  PUT it into my special place





This is my special place - my allotment where I have spent lots of time with my boys, playing, growing and exploring
















































































I have put my pattern into my place by projecting it with light onto the materials of my plot - wood, carpet and metal. This helped me look with fresh eyes at a pattern that was too familiar to me.

3. OBSERVE how time, weather and chance transform

and ALLOW the other senses in (smell, taste, touch, hearing)





I drew my pattern onto the surfaces of the allotment - wood and metal. The more I drew, the more I grew to understand the pattern and how it worked best. Drawing in my place meant I got to explore different ways of approaching the pattern, through texture, space and time - and most importantly in relation to other surfaces and dimensions. Allowing time and weather to pass through my pattern and change it, allowed me as a designer to look at the pattern with fresh eyes. 


 4. IMAGINE ways of capturing the pattern at some point of its shifting life cycle





































I decided to make a wood cut of a single motif. And then I made these designs for screen-printing tomorrow. I want to screen print positives as well as printing resists for indigo dying on Monday. I will print resists onto the original fabric. Depending on how my sampling go - I will print fabric to re-install into my place.

And begin all over again?
























No comments:

Post a Comment