Monday 24 March 2014

Tim's print

I met Tim before I came to garden at Spa Hill - I attended one of his organic gardening courses. He taught me how to make compost - just like cooking really. Afterwards we ate some of his home-made nettle soup in the allotment hall. It tasted awful to me. Last year he organised a really wonderful apple day where we scrumped loads of apples off the allotments and made community cider.

You can also meet into Tim on the 250 bus, which he sometimes drives - when he's not making cider. Tim loves trees. Half his plot is an orchard really - with quince and hazel and apple trees. Once I bumped into him at a concert at the Royal Albert Hall - he was carrying a tray of blackberry fools which he had brought all the way from Spa Hill. Blackberry - plant of the undergrowth and woods.

When I came to make his print I knew it would involve the delicate tracery of hazel branches, their flying pollen and Tim's unmistakable boiler suit - which he is never without. I imagined Tim's trees growing up within him - like one of those stories from Ovid, growing from winter to spring to summer to autumn. I also want to print with the rich and wondrous soil - which Tim is such an expert.

Tim kindly has loaned me a spare and very well worn suit and I've designed and started sampling his print. I'm going to show him this Wednesday. Fingers crossed.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment