Tuesday 18 February 2014

Trying out my recipe with Stinky

My allotment friend Stinky has agreed to help trial my pattern recipe. We're still in the very early, experimental phases - but it's blowing a gale - so lets go and play in her cosy allotment poly-tunnel

1. TAKE an inspiring pattern







































These are Stinky's special patterns - especially the sweet chestnuts. We planted these together. These chestnuts are also very like the pattern of her favourite dress.

2. PUT it into Stinky's special place - her plot/garden









































3. OBSERVE how weather, time and change the pattern and how other senses (touch, smell, taste, hearing) enter in






















































Hear - birdsong, gentle patter of rain - especially beautiful in poly tunnel, 450 bus stopping at bus stop, children's voices coming out to play in school playground
Smell - garlic chives (think I standing on some and crushing them?)
Touch - I can feel the warmth of the sun coming through the clouds
See - gleam of wet slate and wood, smudged chalk running and blurring, buds, seedlings - spring creaking through
Taste - I break off a spinach leaf. I can taste soil and leaf and rain


4. IMAGINE ways of capturing this shifting process






































I cut and printed these wood blocks inspired by the horse chestnuts. From these I made these designs to print with screens. I also want to make one inspired by the rainbow fungus. I'm going to print them soon and post up the results.

When printing - try onto wet - overprint and try to smudge

5. PLACE print back into place - I want to make Stinky something nice with the fabric. Any ideas?









No comments:

Post a Comment